Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day

Yesterday was memorial day observed. Memorial day really had no meaning to me until about 5 years ago. My brother was KIA on October 20, 2004 in Al Anbar provence in Iraq. It was an extremely hard and painful thing to go through. I recently went on a business trip to Florida. On the plane ride back there were many soldiers returning for the weekend. The flight attendent requested everyone to clap for the veterans which is the least that could be done. When the soldiers got off the plane there were many families waiting to hold there loved ones for the first time in a long time. This particular soldier ran the minute he saw his family and scooped up his little boy in a giant bear hug. The little boy just giggled and laughed. It was heart wrenching and probably the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I miss Doug. He and I had a very love hate relationship. We were either the best of friends or couldn't be in the same room as each other. We didn't end it very well...we were in the hate stage of our relationship. You never really realize how short life is until something is ripped from your life and you know you will never get it back in this life time. I love my brother very much and I hope he realizes how much he is missed down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment